Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Honoring our Heros


Very rarely do you get a chance to shake the hand of real true hero. I don't mean Karl Malone, or Hiro Nakamora, but a real one. One that looked across a snowy field and stared down an enemy of freedom. One who sat in a fox whole one day with there buddy and watched that same buddy die the next day. I am talking about a hero that still salutes the flag everytime they see it flying because they understand its cost. Every red stripe is soaked with the blood of men and women who died to keep this nation free. After all, freedom is not free. And it's price is high. It is in the tears of a mother, the prayers of a lover, and in the years a child grows without the guidence of a father. And one day, in a blink of an eye, the boy who fought on the beaches of Normandy wakes up and is an old man. An old man whose white hair is covered in a 'World War 2 Vet' hat and has found himself sitting across from his son-in-law at a cafe in Simi Valley. The same cafe that my family and I ate at just yesterday. My father in law leaned over and express his wish to go up and shake that mans hand and offer to pay for his breakfast. But how do you do that. Fear of possibly offending the man held my father in law back. Besides does breakfast really make up for all that he did for us? My mom in law suggested telling the waitress and making it ananonymous gesture. That could have been the end of it, but the man figured out who we were. It couldn't have been the fact that all eyes on our table were trained on him as the waitress told him the news. It must have been something ealse that tiped him off. But figure it out he did. He came to talk to us, to thank us. He called us the angels. Does he realize what he did for our country? Does he know that we would be speaking German if it wern't for him and countless other men like him? Does he know that I still cry when I hear the national antheum, and I am so greateful that it is the Star Spangled Banner I hear? I love this county and I love all that the flag stands for. I hope an pray that all that I love in this country will live on. And I hope that those that serve our country today will live to be old men and women who may one day sit in a cafe with a vetrens hat upon there head. I hope that people will still love our country whole heartedly that they too will feel compelled to buy those old men and women who sacrificed so much, there breakfast. It is the least we could have done for a man who gave us so much.
Now here are some pictures of what we did the rest of the day, after breakfast. These are pictures of Lauren and Evan playing at Pop Pop and Mimi's shop.



After we left the shop, we went to Third Street. Chad and I went there alot when we were dating.

Later on that night, Lauren made a Ginger bread house with Mimi. She was so proud of it.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing your story and thoughts :). We're lucky to have so many brave men and women who have stood up for our country and protected us!

Amber said...

Your story was very touching (and Thanksgiving appropriate). It is a nice example for the rest of us to follow. Also, I love seeing all the pictures of Simi Valley, they make me a little home-sick :P

Our Story said...

Thanks for sharing your story we all need to remember that we wouldn't have what we have if it wasn't for those that fight for our freedom each and everyday. and was a wonderful time to remember all of this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! for sharing the story, and thanks for the nice compliment about my pictures... I'm actually learning photography, I'm self teaching myself and just started about a month ago, I'm learning a lot by taking lot's and tons of photos and I would love to take pictures of your kids that would be fun hehehe :)