Friday, April 10, 2009

The Ugly Side of Motherhood.


"By and large, mothers and housewives are the only workers who do not have regular time off. They are the great vacationless class."
-- Anne Morrow Lindbergh

This morning as I lay dreaming, I was soaking in the sun on the beaches of Porto Rico. I watched crabs scammer by on the rock just inches from my bare feet. The water is so clear and delicously blue that I can see fish swimming around in there own little world below. The air is so fresh and clean that as I breath it in, I can feel it travle through me. In the sky, there is a bueatiful sea gull in flight. As he cirles the ocean below, he opens up his mouth. But instead of a high pitched "caw", I curiously here a "beep, beep, beep.." Before my half way uncontious mind can understand how that bird can make a beep-beep-beeping noise, a giant mass yelling "Mommy, I'm hungry" plumets on my stomache. And....the beach is now gone.

"If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylum would be filled with mothers."
-- Edgar Watson Howe


I can't be the only person out there whose rose colored dreams of motherhood is slightly more full of sunshine and smiles then the harsh reality. I look on blogs and see nothing but good times and happy faces. I, on the other hand, spend most my days frazzled and unorginzed, but still post the sunny side of motherhood for all to see. I don't want people to look at everything and think-Wow, how does she do it, she has it all together. If I was being 100% honest with everyone, I would say that I don't do it, and if I do have everything together then it is being held together with a very thin taunt sting that at any given moment will snap.

"The phrase "working mother" is redundant."
-- Jane Sellman

I have a couple of confessions to make.
#1. Sometimes when I need a moment to myself, I put on a cartoon for Lauren and Evan, then I go to my room, lock the door, and blissfully close my eyes. I know that T.V should not be a babysitter, but a stressed out Mom shouldn't be one either. At least that is what I tell myself.


"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother."
-- Theodore Hesburgh


#2. Three mornings ago while Chad was getting ready to go to work, I started to cry. All I could think about was the day ahead. I woke up with a migrain and I felt so overwhelmed. I knew that once I step from my bed, it would be close to eight at night before I could reasonably relax. To Chad's credit, he listened and praised me for all I do. Sometimes it is just nice to hear that someone apperciates all the work you do. For me, that day, that was all I needed.


"There never was a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him asleep."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


#3. Everytime my kids throw-up, my first reaction is not a nice one. I hate throw-up, and although I am not mad at my child for throwing up, I am not that gracious about having to clean it up. All those crazys out there that told me it is different when it is your own child, well I have one word for you-liar! It is no different. I hate throw up, no matter whose mouth it comes out of. Chad is throw up cleaner if he is home. I comfort the sick child while Chad cleans up after the sick child.


"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it."
-- Mark Twain


#4. I use to be cute once. Or at least I use to feel cute. I don't feel so cute anymore. I understand that I need something that is outside of harth and home to call my own, I just havn't found it yet. I am not a scrapebooker, and I am tone deaf. I will find an outlet though. I think every one needs one.


"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."
-- Agatha Christie


After reading this post, you might think that I am bitter and disappointed with my life, but you would be wronge. I love my life. I have an ability to look on the bright side of everything. Every now and then, life pulls my under, but then I can always resurface and take a deep breath. I love my babies and even though no one told me how difficult motherhood could be at times, I am still loving the job. If I knew then what I know now, I would still be over the moon with excitment about finding out I was pregnate for the first time. I knew how hard it was, and still I got pregnate with Evan-on purpose. And I still know how hard it is, and I still want more kids. I told you about the morning I woke up crying, but I really didn't finish the story. Because, while I was crying to Chad, Lauren crawled into bed with me, as she often does early in the mornings. She put her teny tiny hand on my check and wiped away my tears. Those little buddles of ours have the ability to make tears appear from no where, yet they also have the power to dry those same tears.


"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life."
-- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)


I know I can't be the only one who has bad days, but I am also sure that I am not the only one whose good days surpass the bad ones. I know that I am not the only one who has to dig down deep within my self to find the energy to be a mom, but I also am pretty sure that I am not the only one out there that looks at my children and feels an abundance of love-so deeply and fully that sometimes I am surprised my heart can hold so much. I am not the only one how throws my hair back in a pony tail daily, and calls it good. But then again, things like nice hair and fancy cloths really don't impress little ones. They think it is so cool if you can sound like the cookie monster, or if you know all the wiggles songs. It doesn't matter that you are singing tunlessly in an old pair of sweats. I heard once that children spell love with four letters T-I-M-E. And as long as we are willing to give them that, then they unconditonally love everything about you. Even when you have a break down, those little ones of yours are the first to come with there skinny arms to wrap you in and their big hearts to forgive.

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us when adversity takes the place of prosperity when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."
--Washington Irving

Although the beaches of Porto Rico is a nice dream to have, I wouldn't change it for my reality. Because there isn't a creative mind out there whose visions of heaven can match the tenderness of a child's unceasing and nonjudgemental love.

16 comments:

Hilary said...

This was so sweet . . . I know how you feel. There's days that are Greg gets home and I'm like, "They did nothing but whine and cry and I did nothing but laundry and diaper changes . . . this is my life?" But I wouldn't change this life, even with those days mixed in, for anything in the world!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing and I too know those feelings. Motherhood is hard but worth living every day.

Michelle said...

I totally agree with everything you said :). Being a Mom is not easy but it is soooo worth it! It's not always smiles and laughs. But the smiles and laughs make it all worth it. I love how you write. You are such a good Mom! Thanks for sharing :).

Kalynne said...

I love your posts. They always have so much truth to them! I would have to agree with everything you said. Motherhood is an exhausting journey-but has such a great destination!

Dennis and Calena said...

Gosh I didn't realize how much alike we are until now. Dennis is the throw-up cleaner upper too when he is home. Ugh!

John and Sherri said...

I would have to agree... especially with the throw up thing- I hate it! I also agree that the good outweighs the bad, that's probably why we all tend to post the good. I know for me, I usually post when my children are sleeping, and once there asleep it seems like I forget all the hard times we had that day, and only remember the good! I wouldn't change it for the world!!!

Melissa said...

"Missy,
I was looking at your blog today and it was amazing. 1. I was just thinking how much Evan looked like you dad. Then I saw your baby pictures. He is your kid, cute like his mom. 2. I was reading about haw hard it is to be a mom. (good too.) You don't know how nice it is to know that someone else understands my feelings to. Last weekend Dean was pulling double babysitting duty (Funny how it is babysitting when he watches the kids) He had a sick Aly and a sassy Lyndsy. I was working graves so he was watching them during the day aslo, then had to take monday of because I had to sleep and Aly was still sick. He was feeling worn out and tied down. And told me that it must just come natrual to us women because no matter how much he loves the girls he needs time away from them. I was trying to explain that even mom's do to. He just didn't get it. Its nice to know some else does. I love my girls but if I am not at work I am with them. I can't remember the last time I was able to have time just to myself. A walk, a bath (no pounding or screaming on the otherside of the door, or my favorite a long horse ride. But it is such a quick short time in my life it is worth it. I will miss the pounding on the door. 3. You my not know it but you do have a nitch. You are a wonderful writter."

Unknown said...

You are an amazing writer! I love posts like this. Maybe because it is good to feel like I'm not alone. And after a very long night last night, I really needed to hear that. :)

The Cherrys said...

Melissa...It's nice to know that I am not the only one out there that feels that way at times! I wouldn't trade it for anything though! Call me if you ever need releif!

Amber said...

I just keep looking forward to when they start school. I feel that as long as I have a goal in mind, it isn't as hard when I have to change 12 dirty diapers in one day, neither kid has taken a nap, and I have only had 4 hours of sleep.

Collings Family said...

I just love that insane asylum quote. It's especially fitting since my kids have been out all week for spring break!

Celeste said...

I've learned important truths as a mom of three kids. Cleaning is a waste of time, and there is no such thing as "finishing the laundry." But I accept that, and would rather spend my time loving my children while they're mine to love!

Keri said...

Melissa I feel just like this a lot of times - it can be so overwhelming - thanks for your words and inspiration. Motherhood is worth it and NOT easy! Thanks for being there for me last week when I had a bad day! I love ya!

Our Story said...

Oh melissa I think you hit it right on the spot of what every mom feels from time to time. At least that is what I feel Most day's. The only thing is I would never change my life because it is so rewarding to have your little one(s) come up and give you a big hug and tell you that they love you.

The Benoits said...

You hit the nail on the head...once again. Being a mother is a thankless job, but also the most rewarding. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Clark & Co. said...

what would I do without your wonderful posts? I need to read this every day! = )you are a wonderful writer and an even better mother! love ya!