Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Power of a Song

Music can touch your soul, make you cry, make you smile, and transport you in time. Everytime I hear Dido's "Best Day of my Life" I am taken back to dating Chad. I heard it on the radio on the way to his house. We went to the Santa Monica Pier and Third Street that day. It was magical. When ever it comes on the radio, I am transported to that time, that feeling. All the sudden I feel the wonder of new love all over again. Certin songs remind me of certin people. I took a trip to St. George when I was 16 with a friend of mine. It was the first time that I got to go on a weekend get-a-way all by myself. On the radio was Greenday's "I hope you had the time of your life.." song. It had just come out so we heard it at least 20 times on our 6 hour drive. And then when I found out that I was having a baby girl, Martina McBrides "My daughter's eyes" was playing in the background. To this day I can't listen to that song without tearing up. Simon and Garfunkles "Bridge Over Troubled Water's" will always conjour my father's face. He use to play it all the time on the piano when I was a little girl. I told him once that it made me think of him. Then when I was at the airport on my way to Russia as a young 18 year old, he sliped me a homemade CD. On it was just one song, "Bridge Over Troubled Waters." That CD got me through some hard times in that cold country. Listening to it made me feel like I was safe at home. When a crazy man held what appeared to be a homemad bomb to the head of Howard W Hunter at a BYU fireside, it was the power of a song that stunned the perpetrador to pause in his tracks. (We thank thee of God for a Prophet). I had sung the song "I see the Moon" to my kids since they were born. The first night that I held them in the hospital. I wanted them to know right away that I was blessed to have them. Now when Lauren gets scared, hurt, or if she is sick, she will tell me to sing the "Moon song" as she calls it. She asked me to sing it to her tonight. When I was done, she wraped her skinny little arms around my neck and said "I love you too mommy". The Power of a Song. What could a simple little song do. It could unite a nation, save a life, make you fall in love, and let a little girl know that she is cherished.

"I see the Moon and the moon sees me, the moon sees who I hope to see"


"God bless the moon and God bless me, and God bless the one who I hope to see"


"God sent you from up above, and he gave you for me to love" (Lauren as a baby)


"He pick you from all the rest"


"because he know I would love you the best"

I love you Lauren and Evan. I will tell you every day in every way advalible to me to express to you how much I love you. In a soft embrace when you fall, and a gentle hand to dry your tears. In an afternoon of cloud watching, and a night full of books. In every moment I dedicate to you, and yes, in a song on my lips. You are my angels. You give meaning to my life and stress to my days. I love you two more then words and music can express. I have no talent for singing, but you two are the most beautiful music I have ever created.

5 comments:

John and Sherri said...

Beautiful! I could read your writing all the time. You need to write a book. Truely, you have brought me to tears more than once- you express things so well. Thank you. I totally agree- I love music!

Jill said...

Thanks for this post. Beautiful!

Michelle said...

Music really can be so touching and meaningful. Thanks for your beautiful thoughts. :)

Jill said...

ps, you should read the book, 'I see the moon', easy read, but so good!

Collings Family said...

I love all of those songs too. I LOVE that picture of Evan sleeping.