Saturday, September 4, 2010


"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Or so says Dr.Seuss. And now my baby girl gets to have the ability to to expand her mind and go to school. I knew the time was coming and coming up fast, and here it is. She is now a full fledged Kindergartner. She love it, as I knew she would. I had a harder time letting her go then she did. I am so proud of my little school-goer. She has taken to kindergarten like a duck to water, every day regaling me with tales of her expanding knowledge. I am just so stunned that the same baby who sat in her 1st birthday cake to eat it because right in fount of her wasn't close enough for all of that deliciousness, is now in a land full of chalk dust and pencil shavings. For weeks before, all we heard was how she was going to start school soon, and what she was going to wear her first day, and wondering who she was going to sit by..you get the point. She woke up bright and early her first day full of anticipation and excitement. I, on the other hand, was holding back tears from the moment the alarm clock went off. But she looked so adorable and grown up. I really can't believe that this day has come.



Walking to school. Lucky for us, her school is just a couple of blocks away. I don't know how I would have been able to put her on a bus and wave good-bye. That would have been much harder on me. I got to walk with her the whole way, and have every morning since. I need to let go in stages, not all at once.

Here she is at her school.

And lining up with her class.

She loved her first day, and everyday after wards. I had read in a book once that the art of parenthood is learning to let go. You teach them good values and morals, you give them love and acceptance for the individuals that they are, and then you let go and hope what you taught them will stick. I know that I have years yet to truly fully let go, but I guess, to me, Kindergarten seems like step #1 in that process. I think she is a good girl and will be just fine in this new world of hers.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

It comes and goes so... fast. They were once our little babies. Now we have to let then go to school and become smarter than we are. :(..

Michelle said...

I can't believe Lauren is in Kindergarten! When I saw her with a little backpack on I thought probably preschool but kindergarten!? Crazy! What a cute little girl! She's so smart, she'll do great in school!

Hilary said...

So cute! I love how enthusiastic she is about school!

Collings Family said...

How exciting for her! She's been ready for kindergarten academically since she was like...what? Two? I'm happy for her.

Unknown said...

YAY! I can see her being right at home in a classroom full of other kids. She's going to blossom so much this year!

joyce said...

She's so smart, Melissa! She's gonna love it and Mrs. Carter is going to LOVE her!! Seth had mrs. Carter for kindergarten and thought she was great!