Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What the Shalak!?!

You know those days where everything seems to go in your direction? I had one of those days on Sunday. So nice and quite, and dare I say, serene. Chad was awake all the night before. Chad was alseep in his bed, and I was way ahead of schedual in getting ready for church. As I watch my kids out the window, I was really feeling quit proud of my little family. It was like there was a shining light from heaven that was pouring down on our little corner of the world..and then it hit. Disaster! Screaming! Yelling! Lauren saying "Evan got into something dangerous!" Yep, my little Happy Valley just had an earthquake and the sands of perfection were washed away untill reality settled in. My little boy, my curious little Evan had taken a big handfull of polyurethane and smeared it all over his cute little mohawk! And not just a little bit, Chuncky-half-set-thick globs of it, all over his golden hair. (Chad was doing a project. He had it out in the sun, all shalaked with polyurethane to dry. That is where my son had gotten his little hands on it).
What was I to do? Chad was asleep and hadn't slept all night long the night before so I wasn't about to wake him up, church was about to start, and my little boy had a varnished head and was screaming himself horse. So I stuck his head under the sink and tryed to wash it off with shampoo and water. Did you know that you can't get polyurethane off with soap and water? Then I thought that the only thing I could do is buzz all of his hair off. Meanwhile Evan is screaming so loud, I had to shut all the windows in fear of my neighbors calling child services on there way to church. I set him up in his high chair and got out the clippers. I started to buzz off his hair when the clippers got stuck in the polyurethane! Ahhh...why does this happen now when Chad is asleep! I have totally given up on making it to church to do my lesson at this point. It was already 20 min. into primary. Soap and water didn't work, buzzing his hair didn't work, the only opption left to me was to do what anyone ealse in this technological age would do, and that is google it.
I google "how to get polyurethane out of hair" with zero results. I have never in my life gotten zero results on the world wide web before. Apperently every other mother in this world would never allow there little child a chance to smear a bonding agent into there hair. I know that Chad always uses gasoline to get polyurethane off of his hands, but I wasn't about to pour a toxic flamable liquid onto my son's head. So I put in "how to get polyurethane off of hands" just hoping that there would be something I can use. And there was. Did you know that if you use Vegtable Oil, it breaks down polyurethane? I didn't either. So I grabed the screaming kid out of the high chair and I ran to the sink armed with Veggie Oil. I poured it all over his head and started to scrub. And you know what, it totally worked! After all the polyurethane was out, I used soap and water to wash off all the oil. But when I was done, he had a chunk of his hair gone from my previous attempt to buzz the shalak out of his hair. So I had to finish the job. And although he still looks cute, he just doesn't look like Evan. It makes me a little sad. I can't wait untill I get his mohawk back. But I did it! All by myself. I got the stuff out of his hair. It might have taken an hour and three attmepts, but he is polyurethane free! With a new hair cut too.

2 comments:

Kami Clark said...

That is funny Melissa, I'm glad it all turned out ok. Points for super mom.

Hilary said...

I am anxious to see pictures of his new 'do! :-)
Way to handle it all though . . . I would've totally woken up my husband, so go you! :-)