Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Our little E.R adventure

Oh my gosh am I tired! We had a little adventure last night. Poor Evan! He got a cough and was so sick. Yesterday he just sat on my lap and moaned all day long. He wouldn't eat or sleep. Lauren was such a good girl through it all. She played by herself all day long. Anytime I needed anything, she would run to get it. She kept coming up to Evan and kissing him, talking softly to him. She was a trooper and when I needed her to be a little grown up, she totally steped up to the plate! She was very mature for her 4 years of age and it allowed me to concentrate on Evan. She is such a good girl.

But anyway, back to Evan. When Chad came home, he took Evan off my hands so that I could get some rest. I told Chad that I didn't think that Evan was breathing right. It seemed to me like he was having a hard time getting enough air. As Chad held him, he could also see that Evan was really laboring as he breathed. We decided to take him in to the doctors, but it was 8:00-so to the E.R we went. I am grateful for Chad. Soo grateful. With the both of us working together, we can do anything. I couldn't be a mom without his support. When I go through what we did last night, it makes me think of Chad's mom. I wonder how she did it. She was a single mom with 6 kids! I couldn't do it without Chad.

They took Evan right away and gave him oxygen. His Oxygen levals were really low and the poor kid was just listless. They had to put an I.V into his arm. It was soo sad for me! They had to strap him to a board so that he wouldn't move around. His eyes were filled with terror. He just looked at me with pleading. I know he wanted me to save him from this torture and it just broke my heart. Then they came and got an x-ray and gave him a breathing treatment. The breathing treatment was like magic! In a matter of minutes after the treatment, he was playing and full of energy. I had my little boy back. He was talking and smiling. It was such a relief to me.

The whole time Lauren was so worried about Evan. She would cry for him when he would cry. It was sweet to me to see the concern in her eyes for her little brother. Before we left, they gave Evan a shot of steroids to keep him bronchial tubes open. The poor kid was so surprised with the shot. He just started screaming. And then Lauren started crying. She told the nurse "when you gave Evan a shot, I didn't like it. You shouldn't hurt him." It was really cute to me. I love to see to love that they have for each other.

We finally made it home at 1:00 and in bed by 2:00. Poor Chad had to wake up at 5 to make it into work on time. He will be taking a nap today when he gets home. I am so grateful to the love and support Chad gives me. He is such a good daddy and gives both the kids and I a huge sence of security. I am so grateful for modern medicine. The Evan before and the Evan after-it was like two completly different kids. I feel so lucky that I don't have to watch my kids go through any kind of terminal illnesses. Last night was a quick fix, but some parents have to watch there little ones go through much worse then Evan did last night, and on a daily basis. I am tired, but so grateful this morning. So he has asthma, big deal. He is still a happy and healthy little boy. What more could I ask for.

8 comments:

Rachael said...

Trips to the ER are no fun. I wish I could have seen Lauren's reaction. That shounds funny!

Knowing you need to go to the ER is hard enough. Doing it without your spouse is even harder. I need someone to calm my nerves so I don't freak out. My kids are usually the calm ones.

Traci said...

Scary! Poor little guy and poor little mommy! Thank goodness for doctors and how advanced they are now!!!

Keri said...

Oh poor little guy. I know what its like being at the ER and your child is pleading to you to take away the fear and pain, or whatever it may be. It's so hard! I'm glad he's doing better - asthma can be scary!

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry about your crazy night :(. Poor little guy! I'm glad he's feeling better. Hope you're able to catch up on some sleep today and tonight. Let me know if I can do anything to help out :).

Hilary said...

Awww, I'm sorry . . . nothing is worse than your kids being sick, especially when it's scarily sick!

Collings Family said...

Hate those stupid i.v.'s! And trips to the E.R. Knock on wood, we haven't had one in a long while. So glad he's better.

Unknown said...

Poor kid!! I hope it was a one time deal. Give him a kiss from his CA family.

Dennis and Calena said...

How sad! I'm glad he is okay though!