Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I love the sound of the earth after a snow storm. It kind of reminds me of life. The other night, the winds were howling and our windows rattled with every gust. I had on a t-shirt, a hoodie, and my coat. But that is not all. I was also covered in a literal mountain of blankets. The world was vicious and unforgiving. And the snow just kept coming. But in the morning, the earth was silent. The snow glissened in the early morning sun. You could hear the wind rush by on it's way to warmer places. It just makes me wonder sometimes, if you can't achieve something so breathtaking without all of the winds and the darkness?
Likewise, when I lived in California, I loved the look of the ocean after a storm. I remember driving through Malibu Canyon. There is a point in the canyon where you come around the bend and on a clear day, you can see the land as in curves into the ocean. After a storm, the water would be a beautiful clear blue green. The sky, an equally beautiful though different shade of blue would meet the water in a perfect union of complentary cool colors. It was the work of a true artist's hand. I loved that sight. But you only got that picture after a storm would come in and toss the waves and drive out the smog from the sky. Once again, an indescribable beauty that was born from a storm.
I like to think that maybe, I could be a work of art as well. We all go through hard times where if feels as if we have no lifeline to hold to. We are, at times, tossed about on a stormy sea. I think that we are so busy trying to control that storm that we don't really see our lifeline. We are only human, so we tend to think of ways that we can have power over this storm of ours. I think it is only when we surrender to the winds that we realize we have had a lifeline in front of us the whole time. We just needed to stop and be still in the mist of the chaos that might surrounds us. Let ourselves be vulnerable. Turn ourselves over to our Heavenly Father's hands. If we do that then he can guide us out of our storms. He is the ultimate artist and we are his masterpieces. Just like the earth after a storm, we too can become a stunning sight full of peace and the confidence of someone who knows who they are.
This is the gift I have been given this Christmas season. I wish to give it to you. If only through my words, maybe I could remind you that you are all beautiful strong women who have taught me so much. We don't stand with our back to the storm, we face it head on, and can stand a little taller for it. We may cry, and we may feel alone at times, but we are so lucky. We understand that it is only after the trail of our faith that the blessings come. We have been promised that our weaknesses will become streagths. Is there any other way to achieve this then by going through a trail that stretches us and, in the end, refines us? I know that we receive blessings and we are ment to share our gifts and talents with others. I think that we tend to hide our struggles. I think that our struggles can also be used to help others as well.
I am so grateful for all that I have learned and continue to learn as I navigate through all the storms that come my way. Things have not turned out the way that I have always planned-sometimes when something comes my way that I am sure is nothing at all I wanted, it turns out to be exactly what I needed. As I drove around Ogden yesterday with my kids in the back seat, all I could think about was all that I have been blessed with in this life. Their laughter filled up the car with happiness, and you know, I really believe that I don't need anything else. It isn't something you can buy or wrap up in a box, but the gift of my children's happiness is priceless.
I wanted to also take a moment to thank everyone who has shown us kindness this past little while. It is only because of all of you (some, I don't even know who they are) that we are starting to get to a more comfortable place. We are still months behind on everything, but we are getting closer to being caught up. No man is an island, and I am so lucky to be surrounded by so many good people in my life.

3 comments:

Keri said...

After my week I really needed to hear this! Thanks!!! I still have a way to go though! You're awesome!

Dennis and Calena said...

You should write a book the way you speak! I love reading your posts.

Melanie said...

I echo Keri when I say I needed to read this tonight! Thanks! I love your beautiful writings!