Saturday, January 24, 2009

You have got to understand. It never leaves me. I can go on with my life, I can laugh, I can play, and I can smile. I really am happy all the time. I often wonder if that is a blessing I didn't know that I would need untill now. You know how there are "glass is half-empty/half-full" kind of people? Well, Chad always jokes that I am a "just happy to have a glass" kind of a person. And he really is right. I see blessings all around me. I see blessings in my daughter's smile and infectious laugh. I see blessings in the arms of my little boy as he reaches for me. Most of all I see blessings in Chad's eyes in the way he looks at me, or in the sound of his voice as he says my name. But even with all that, it still is always there, in the back of my mind. It is always lurking around the corner. I try to escape it, but I can't. I know that I write alot about it, but I just can't help it. I feel broken, lost, alone, abandoned, and forgotten. Even as I celebrate all the little milestones that my babies make, even as I celebrate my good fortune to have such a man as my husband, and even as I rejoice at the life I have made with my little family, it is there. It really confusses me. As I dive deeper and jouney futher down this road called "Motherhood", it just gets more confussing to me. I know that she loves me, how can she not, I am her daughter. Maybe she loves me because she is supose to, because I am her daughter. It hits me from nowhere. And when it does, it hits hard. My grandma called me on the phone about a week ago, and ever since then, I have been half expecting a letter or a phone call or something from my mom. Nothing ever came. It isn't the first time that I have gotten my hopes up for some kind of absolution that never came. It is like being regected all over again. I do my blogs, take pictures of my daughter, declare to the cyber world about just how cute I think she is. I laugh at the funny things she says and I run to her at night when she crys out. I hold her tight and rock her gently. I play "princesses" with her and I read her books. I color pictures with her and I play with play dough. I send her to time out and then hug her to reasure her that she is still my precious baby girl. As I do all of these things, I know that she did the same for me. And I know from the hurt in my heart, that the need for a mother's love and acceptance never goes away. The only thing that changes is the way that we express that need for our mothers. I am just a little confussed, kind of like my writing tonight. But she didn't only remove herself from my life, she took with her my sisters and my brother. My sister was my best friend and now I am always looking for something to fill the void that they all left behind. Part of me really hopes that my mom does read my blog. I really wish she would have written me a letter. I wish it with all my heart. I wish it and I fear it at the same time. I am not sure if I know how to have a relationship with her anymore. But I would love to be given the option.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I love your writing. I hope your Mom reads your blog so she can see how much you miss her and how much it's hurting you that you don't have her in your life anymore. I wish you the best with that Melissa :). If you ever need someone to talk to I'm always here.

Keri said...

It's true. Things hurt us in life and as we try to press on and get over it - and at times we feel confident - it still comes back and hurts us. I think it always will. Why does life have to be like that??? I'm so so sorry for your loss and KINDA understand, but only a vague glimpse of the pain you go through. And it's not only your mom - it's your siblings. I'd be so lost without my siblings....You are a strong person and God wouldn't have given you this trial if he knew you couldn't weather it and learn from it. Lauren is a lucky gal to have a mom like you!!!

Keri said...

And Vin too!

Dennis and Calena said...

I'm sorry you have to go through this! It is such a hard thing when family is the problem and not the solution! If you ever need to get away to distract yourself let me know, we can get the kids together to play and talk or something.

Jill said...

I'm on equal grounds and still love all of you and your family. Having said that I would sure love to see you and get our kids together to play. It's been too long and I can't imaging how lonely and difficult life would be without my family. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, but know that I'm not the only one in the family who prays for you and your family!
We should do lunch sometime soon!

Our Story said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through this no one should have to feel that way and have to go through what your going through. I do hope that she can read your blog and see what she is doing to you.
Hopefully one day soon she will come around and be that mom that you once had the mom that she should be.
You are a great person and friend. I have never met anyone that is so strong and that gets through things the way you do.
I do understand where you are coming from on this my nephew (well Step-nephew) has had to go through his life sence he was three having a mom not want him and only wanting his sister. It truely breaks my heart to see things like that. I don't understand how anyone could push aside there child.
I know I look at Kyla everyday and am thankful that I have her and for her wonderful spirit, I know I'm at least laughing at her once a day if not more for some silly thing that she has done.
Kids are such a wonderful gift and I have faith that someday your mom will see that and understand what a wonderful person you are.