Sunday, May 8, 2011

Movie Night..

Every now and then, we have a movie night where the kids get to pick the movie. When it's Lauren's turn to pick, it is always "Tangled" and Evan always chooses "Megamind." Sometimes they surprise me and throw in "Despicable Me" or "How to Train your Dragon." But for the most part, they reuse, reduce and recycle their choices for movie night. They are very green when it comes to their preferences. It started when Chad was out of town working for his Dad, and now it is a "thing" that we do. We push the couches together and make one big "bed" throw in some pillows and blankets, put on a movie and get all cozy. Nine times out of ten, the kids pass out after a half an hour and we let them sleep there the rest of the night.

They always look so sweet to me when they are asleep. I always think about the times through out the day where I could have been kinder and softer to them. They are just kids, exploring and learning. I always feel in my heart when I see them sleeping that I need to allow them that more often. You only have one childhood. Just once where you have no worries and no real responsibility. I need to make this small magical chapter last in their life before bills, mortgage, and other worries start to creep into their lives.

I am still learning. I feel like one of these days someone is going to find me out and say "HA!! You really don't know what your doing, your just making it up as you go along." And they would be right. I sometimes feel like being a parent is like someone handing you the keys to a race car without any instruction. The only advice is don't crash and burn. Then you have to try your hardest to navigate all the twist and turns of parenthood while trying your hardest to look like your on top of every thing. I am always grateful that these little ones seem to only remember the times you get it right, and not the times where you do end up crashing and burning.

And no matter how impatient or cranky I seem to be on one day or an other, they still circle my neck with there little arms and tell me "I love you Mommy." If we could only treat others the way a child does, I am pretty sure that the world would be full of peace and sand boxes.

(Please excuss Evan. He seems to wear chocolate a great deal better then he eats it.)

3 comments:

John and Sherri said...

I love your description of motherhood- so true! My goal is to get it right a few more times than wrong:)

Marian said...

Sweet! We have also tried movie nights, but the movie has to have talking animals for it to keep Davis's attention.

Adam Walters said...

Never heard of the movie Megamind.. gotta check that out. Nothing like having a movie night and eating gourmet popcorn during the holidays.