Monday, January 31, 2011

Reece's Room.

I had bought some paint so long ago to paint a room upstairs for Lauren and Evan to share, but we just never got around to it. Mostly because there is still some wall paper on the walls, and peeling wall paper sucks! But I so want them to have a real room. Currently, Lauren shares a room with the tread mill. Not a fun room for a 6 year old. On top of that, both her and Evan have been begging to share a room for about a year now. I totally understand that someday soon, instead of hearing them play and beg to share a room together, I will hear a raised voice or two declaring "get out of my stuff!!" quickly followed by a slammed door. So I think, for the time being, why not let them share. It came more urgent to get an other room set up when we found out that we were adding to the Triplett household. (the room I want to use for Lauren and Evan holds all our junk that has been in boxes since we moved in 7 years ago). I also sooo want Chad's bow flex to have a room of it's own so that I can have a dinning room. This weekend, we decided (by we, I mean me) that we were going to just paint the walls in Reece's room (which Evan is a current resident of), get Laruen and Evan set up in there, and then work on the big room for them next. It will give us some more wall paper peeling time. So that is what we did. We still need carpet. I am putting aside some of my tip money each week. I am hoping that in a couple of months we will have enough to carpet the room. But the kids don't seem to mind to much. And they love to share that room (so far).
PREPING:





PLAYING:





PAINTING:






Lauren and Evan were such good little helpers! They were experts on globbing the walls as much paint as their paint brushes could hold. They did such a good job of it that all Chad and I had to do was come behind them and smooth out all the paint. Not once did we have to apply paint to the walls ourselves. They had so much fun and I loved the fact that they got to paint their own room.





Arn't they the cutest little painters you have ever seen? I love the paint on Evan's face. It makes me smile.

After we get enough together to get some carpet in that room, I am going to put on this decal on the wall for Reece.

When we were putting the paint on the wall, I was slightly disappointed at first. You couldn't see that the paint was blue. I wanted a light blue, but it seemed like it was just a barley-there-almost-white-kind-of-blue. But after it had time to dry, it was a nice shade of blue, not to light but defiantly not to dark either. Just perfect for a little baby boy. Lauren and Evan wanted to sleep in there the next night. So all that is in there for now is Lauren's mattress, Evan's toddler bed and a bunch of books and blankets. I think that I will keep it that way for a while. When Reece is born and Lauren and Evan are across the hall in the bigger room, I will do it all up to look like a cute modern nursery. And Lauren and Evan will have a bunk bed that my dad has stored in his basement and a nice room for the two of them. I just don't want to set up that room all cute for only a couple of months, only to switch it all out again.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

The room looks so cute! You two are very brave parents. I get too scared to let my kids play with paint. Can't wait to see the two finished rooms.

Amber said...

It looks great, the blue is a nice blue. I am amazed you attempted this with kids "helping". My kids seem to "help" so much we get nothing done.