Friday, October 2, 2009

Lunch with my Sister

About 6 months ago, I was talking on the phone with my dad when he mentioned that my little sister was in town and that I should call her. So I did. I called about two times a day for a week. I knew she was in town, and I wanted to see her before she left, so I was persistant in getting a hold of her. I finally did when she was at the airport waiting for her plane. I told her to have a safe flight and that I loved her, but I was a little sad when I hung up the phone.

This was the sister who I shared a room with growing up. We would sit up late at night talking about boys, school, work, or whatever happen to be on our minds. She was my sister, but she was also my best friend. After talking it over with Chad, he encouraged me to talk to her about all my feelings. So I did. I called her and we talked. She said she didn't answer her phone because our mom was always right there. I told her that just because mom and I have a difficult relationship, it dosn't mean that we have to. My little sister and I should have a relationship completly independent of my mom's and my relationship. We talked about alot, and we cryed a little too. It was a good two hour phone call, but it ended on a good note.

Then on my birthday I got a great surprise. Natalie called me. She wanted to take me to lunch for my birthday. I was excited, but nervous. I didn't want it to turn into a discussion about my mom. But to Natalie's credit, it never did. I could tell that my sister was a little nervous, but it has been 4 years now since all of this fall-out with my mom. And for most of those 4 years there has been little to no communications with my siblings. So her nevousness was understandable. I was also nervous. We might not have talked in the easy way we once did, but the promise of more was there. And that truely is the best gift I could have been given.
(Natalie and I with her daugthers Katie, in the baby carrier, and Kara. And with Evan and Lauren.)


(Natalie holding Kara. Kara is 20 months old and Katie is 4 months. She is a busy mom).



(My two super cute kids. I love these little monkeys! They make me laugh all the time!)


(Lauren and Evan.)


Natalie will be here untill January. I am hoping that we can see each other more and rebuild our friendship. Family is very important to me. So you can imagine just how much this little lunch ment to me.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Awww, I'm so glad you guys were able to spend time with each other! I hope your relationship continues to blossom into the one you guys both deserve as sisters!

Jena Wright said...

Thats so awesome! There's nothing quite like a bond with your sister. It will always be different than those with your friends.
Your blog is so fun, your family is beautiful!

Michelle said...

That's awesome that you were able to go to lunch with your sister :).

Rachael said...

I'm so... glad you two got together and were able to talk a lot of your feelings out. That had to feel like the best therapy ever. One step at a time girl. But bask in the glow and warmth and love of sisterhood. I'm proud of you! Your such a strong woman.